A 10-cup coffee maker is the ideal size for the majority of homes, allowing you to brew enough coffee for family or friends without taking up a huge amount of space in your kitchen. While many 10-cup coffee makers are designed for drip brewing, you can find a range of versatile brewers that make a range of drinks including iced coffee, tea, and specialty drinks.
How Much Coffee Makes Ten Cups?
The Specialty Coffee Association states that the Golden Ratio for making coffee is 1:17, which is around sixty grams of coffee for every one liter of water. For a ten-cup brew, this would be around 88g of coffee and 50oz of water. When making coffee, weight is the most accurate way to measure coffee grounds, so the best way to do this is by using a kitchen scale. However, if you do not have one, you can use volume measurements to approximate the ratio. Use 1.5 tablespoons of coffee per 6oz of water. For a ten-cup batch, you are looking at around 12-13 tablespoons, which is around six coffee scoops.
How to Ensure Your Coffee Always Tastes Great
If you are planning to invest in a ten-cup coffee maker, there are several things that you can do to make sure that your coffee always tastes its best. Even if you have one of the 10 best drip coffee makers, understanding what you can do to make better-tasting coffee is important. Firstly, you should always clean your machine on a regular basis. This is because stray grinds and oils from the coffee beans can get trapped in the brewer, and after a while, this can impact the taste of your coffee. Cleaning your coffee machine regularly also prevents bacteria and mold from building up, along with getting rid of any scale deposits left behind by hard water. For the best flavor, you should clean your coffee machine at least once per month. Along with keeping your machine clean, some of the other things that you can do to keep your coffee tasting amazing include:
- Use Fresh, Whole Bean Coffee: Many of the volatile aromatics of coffee will be lost within fifteen minutes of grinding. This means that even though pre-ground coffee can be a convenient option, it’s simply never going to taste as great as coffee that has just been ground.
- Store Your Coffee Correctly: Coffee is a highly porous material that easily absorbs moisture along with any flavors and aromas that it carries. Coffee will also go stale more quickly if it is exposed to heat and sunlight. Because of this, it’s important to consider where you will store your coffee. In an airtight container that is out of direct sunlight and in a cool, dry place is the best option.
- Brew at the Right Temperature: To make sure that your coffee tastes amazing, it’s important to get the brewing temperature just right. If your water is cooler than 195 degrees, it will not extract all of the flavor compounds from the beans, leaving your brew weak and watery. On the other hand, any hotter than 205 degrees, and your beans could end up burned. Keeping your water between these two temperatures will make sure that you get the best taste.
- Use Filtered Water: If you are using tap water to brew coffee, this will contain minerals and other contaminants that will have an impact on the pH balance and the taste of the brew. They will also build up in the lines of your coffee machine over time, which can have an effect on the flow rate and water pressure. Prevent these issues by using filtered water, where these compounds have been removed.
- Use a Thermal Carafe: While a warming plate can be a convenient way to keep your freshly brewed coffee hot, they will also lead to chemical changes in your brew, which could cause a bitter or burnt taste. Instead, use a thermal carafe to keep your coffee warm and tasting amazing.
- Use a Metal Mesh Filter: Paper filters are cheap and convenient, but they will also strain out more essential oils from the coffee beans. Instead, it’s a good idea to invest in a reusable gold-tone filter that allows more of the flavors and fats through. Ultimately, this results in a cup of coffee that has a fuller body and stronger flavor.
- Now you have a better idea of some things that you can do to make your coffee taste better, take a look at some coffee maker reviews to find the best drip coffee maker for ten cups. Check out these coffee makers' ratings reviews.
KRUPS 10-Cup Drip Filter Coffee Maker
KRUPS is one of the leading brands when it comes to coffee brewers. They are known for equipment that is durable and high-quality. This stainless steel brewer is built for durability, making it one of the best choices for homes where a lot of coffee is made! It is easy to use and will have your brew ready in no time, and another handy feature is the wipe-clean housing, allowing you to keep it looking great.
BOSCARE Coffee Maker
This option from BOSCARE is one of the most streamlined options available. It comes with easy on/off switch operation meaning that it is super easy to use and can even be plugged into a smart socket. Along with this, it comes with a variety of other handy features including pause and pour, and a warming plate that comes with automatic shut off.
Smeg 50’s Retro Style Drip Coffee Machine
If you like the retro look in your kitchen, the unique color and shape of this retro-style drip coffee machine from Smeg is going to be perfect for you. But while it might look like it has come from the 50’s, it features super-modern brewing technology to help you make sure that you get the best cup. It is one of only a few brewers today that offers a water hardness adjustment along with other features including a four-cup function for smaller brews and an aroma strength selector.
Bosenkitchen Programmable Coffee Maker
If you want all the convenience of full-carafe brewing in a smaller space, this coffee maker is a great choice, with a compact and curved design that will easily fit on any counter. It comes with four-button controls and a backlit display that make it easier than ever to program and use. The coffee maker and carafe are made from high-quality stainless steel, offering great durability and an attractive, modern look for your kitchen.
BOSCARE Programmable Coffee Maker
This modern stainless steel coffee brewer comes with a touchscreen interface that makes it very easy to operate and program. It comes with a drip-free spout and includes a warming plate so that you can either enjoy your coffee immediately after brewing or save it for later. It comes with a reusable filter included and maintenance is easy thanks to the self-cleaning function.
Braun MultiServe Coffee Machine
This multiserve coffee machine from Braun can be used to make either hot or ice coffee that can be optimized to exactly how you like it. It comes with a TempSensor system that uses three active sensors to make sure that the brewing temperature is just right throughout the entire process. You are able to customize various different factors while brewing including the temperature, strength, and flow rate, or the machine can calculate it to industry standards for you. It also comes with a dedicated hot water dispenser which is great for making tea.
SHARDOR Coffee Maker
The first thing that you will notice about this coffee maker is the sleek and modern look. It comes with a smart, touchscreen display that includes a range of options for customizing the strength of your brew or pre-programming. Thanks to the wipe-clean stainless steel housing, anti-drip spout, and easy-to-remove touch screen and filter basket, it’s very easy to stay on top of cleaning and maintenance.
GEVI 10-Cup Drip Coffee Maker
This option from GEVI is a great choice for anybody who wants hands-free brewing. It comes with a built-in burr grinder offering eight different fineness settings along with three different options for your brew strength, giving you a lot of control over how your final cup tastes. You can also choose the cup size, and this is one of the best 2 cup coffee maker reviews as you can use it to make between two and ten cups at a time.
Capresso GS 10-Cup Digital Coffee Maker
With a built-in grinder, this coffeemaker from Capresso means that you can avoid as much mess and hassle as possible when brewing freshly ground coffee. Compared to a machine with a stand-along grinder, this option will also save space on your kitchen counter since it is compact, too. It comes with a permanent filter included, and the programmable delayed brew makes it an ideal choice for a modern kitchen.
If you want to brew up to ten cups of coffee at a time, there are several budget-friendly, high-quality coffee maker options to choose from.