Travel mugs are a must-have for the outdoorsy among us and you do not even have to be a coffee afficionado to appreciate them. Whether you are a camper, hiker, mountaineer, or a business traveler, nothing else works better than hot coffee to keep the energy flowing throughout the day (or night).
So, if you are looking for a new coffee cup to power through your next trip, we have them listed and detailed for you in right here. Before we get started on it though, here’s a brief Q&A based on some of the most common questions that people usually have before purchasing their travel mug online.
Is there Really a Difference between Tumblers and Travel Mugs?
While there are differences between tumblers and travel mugs, they are not nearly as important as the marketing content out there might make you believe. The difference is in between their shape and size, more than anything else. A tumbler is essentially a glass (the container, not the material), while the travel mug is a large cup. They can both be:
- Used while traveling.
- Microwavable and/or insulated.
- Retain heat in (coffee/tea) or prevent warming (cold water and drinks) of liquids.
- Made from glass, ceramic, porcelain, clay, steel, aluminum, plastic, etc.
- Classified as travel mugs.
Can an Insulated Travel Mug or Tumbler be Microwaved?
It’s an important question with variable answers. The bottom-line is that it depends entirely on:
- The materials used to manufacture the insulated coffee cups.
- The instructions provided by the manufacturer.
In general, you should keep even the best insulated coffee cup out of the microwave and the dishwasher, if it’s made out of metal (stainless steel, aluminum). There are insulated coffee mugs out there that can be both microwaved and be put into the dishwasher safely, but they are usually made form hard plastic. So, the advice would be to be careful and read the instructions carefully. Now that we have the basics cleared up, let’s get started with our list of best coffee mug 2020 – 22.
Sunwill Tumblers come in two sizes: 20 oz and 30 oz, but both insulated tumblers share the same build, looks, and features. There are more than 20 different colors to choose from and irrespective of the color you end up liking, it might just be the best insulated coffee cup you have owned yet. Just take a look at some of the travel mug’s key features next to know why.
- Manufactured from food grade stainless steel for maximum durability during travel.
- Does not rust, crack, or break.
- Sports the double-wall vacuum technology which keeps coffee hot for more than 6 hours.
- Easy to grip, thanks to sweat and condensation proof coating on its outside.
- No heat is transferred on the outer walls of your tumbler, so there is no chance of it ever burning your hand.
- Eco-friendly (BPA-free) plastic slider lid on top provides splash proofing.
- The lid also has a straw hole on top for children and the airflow hole for air pressure stabilization.
- When filled with cold water/liquid, the tumbler keeps it cool for close to 20+ hours in even hot climatic conditions.
The only issue that you may have with the Sunwill Tumbler is that it isn’t the best microwavable coffee mug. In fact, it isn’t microwavable at all, so never put it inside one! While that should not be a problem for an adventurer, tourists and travelers who can use such a feature may find the next entry more suited to their needs.
Bosmarlin Ceramic Coffee Mug
If you want to put it inside a microwave, ceramic is one of the safest and most conducive materials that we have for that today. the Bosmarlin Ceramic Coffee Mug may not be the best microwavable coffee mug outright, but it is certainly up there with the rest of them. For starters, the coffee cup looks beautiful in its solid, glossy elegance, irrespective of the color you may choose. Speaking of colors, you have the option to choose in between 12 different shades, with green and red being the most popular options.
Secondly, the 18 oz capacity is surprisingly larger than most microwavable coffee cups that you will find in this range. The ceramic is lead/cadmium free, microwave safe, dishwasher safe, and even sturdy enough to stand a few bumps during your travels. It’s an excellent choice when you are looking for a large, microwavable coffee mug that can be used at home, in your office, or can be simply carried along with you on your travels. However, it isn’t the best microwavable coffee mug because the Bosmarlin ceramic coffee mug does not come with a lid to prevent spillage.
Swiss Tech Coffee Mug
The small travel mug might not be made in Switzerland, but it sure offers a solid bang for your buck package. The 14 oz insulated cup is likely the best insulated coffee cup in its class and for the price. As for why the Swiss tech Coffee Mug is often called the best insulated coffee cup in its size and price range, we have the reasons listed for your convenience below.
- Made from food grade stainless steel (18/8) that does not crack, puncture, or rust under normal conditions.
- Sports a double-wall vacuum system with copper liner which is certified to keep coffee hot for 6+ hours.
- The same double-wall vacuum system keeps cold water/liquid cool for 20+ hours.
- The BPA-free plastic lid is fitted with a silicone ring to seal the cup against any chances of leakage.
- There is a straw hole on the lid, but it isn’t closeable, unfortunately.
- The handle is easy to grip and heat-resistant.
- Highly portable and comes in 4 different colors.
While it isn’t mentioned anywhere whether the Swiss Tech travel mug can be microwaved or not, it is highly advised that you do not attempt to do so. Stainless steel does not make for the best microwavable coffee mugs at all.
Tervis Clear & Colorful Coffee Mug
Perhaps the best coffee mug 2020 saw being released, the Tervis Clear & Colorful Coffee Mugs combine the best of both worlds. If you are looking for the best insulated coffee cup and the best microwavable coffee mug in one beautiful package, then this is pretty much as good as it gets. Made from BPA free plastic, these tumblers:
- Sport double insulation technology to keep your coffee hot for a decent amount of time.
- Use the same technology also keeps your water/drinks cold for a lot longer.
- Provide a sweat, condensation, and heat resistant grip.
- The travel lid seals the tumbler completely and prevents spillage while on the move.
- Comes in 2 different sizes of 16 oz and 24 oz.
- Are the best microwavable coffee mugs which also come with moderate insulation for outdoor traveling.
- Virtually endless design options (custom job) and a wide range of designer straws for kids.
- Can be cleaned in dishwashers or cooled in a freezer without worry.
- Doesn’t break or crack from a fall or the occasional bump during your travels.
- Made in the US.
As you can probably guess, the Tervis Clear & Colorful Coffee Mug is not a steel thermos that will keep your coffee hot for hours, but it’s the best microwavable coffee mug that offers decent insulation as well, largely thanks to its durable and tough, double walled design.
Haushof Travel Mug
Next on the list we have the Haushof Travel Mug, which is a looker for sure. Made out of food grade 18/8 steel, the Haushof Travel Mug comes in 4 different colors, but one may argue that this particular tumbler stands out in navy blue and black with exceptional class. Aside from the classy looks and the sturdy, unbreakable, stainless-steel build, the Haushof earns its title of being the best coffee mug 2020 for the following reasons:
- Extremely durable against rusting or breakage, making it ideal for adventuring (camping, climbing, hiking, etc.)
- Double-wall vacuum insulation keeps coffee piping hot for about 6 hours, and cold water/drinks cool for 20+ hours.
- Sweat, condensation, heat, and odor-resistant design for easy grip and hygienic use.
- 24 oz – 30 oz capacity is perfect for outdoor travels.
- BPA-free, copper-coated twist-on/off lid with a silicone ring for complete prevention of splashing and spilling.
- There is a straw hole and an airhole (atmospheric pressure stabilization).
Do keep in mind that like the other stainless steel travel mugs discussed here, the Haushof insulated travel mug is neither microwave nor dishwasher friendly. They are not exactly meant to be used if you already have a microwave on hand, so that should not be an issue though. If that is still important to you, there are other great options on this list for you to look through.